MongoDB admin UIs are a GUI layer on top of the mongo shell. They were built for the same people that are comfortable with the shell (e.g. the developers while developing the application) and require you to know the mongo syntax (finds, aggregation etc.) very well. They also give you total control – e.g. drop things, create indexes etc, not necessarily things you would let an analyst do on a production system (another way to think of the difference is to think of the privileges you would want users to have when accessing data through different tools).
JSON Studio was built for letting a much wider audience of people have access to the data in MongoDB. In a nutshell:
- JSON Studio is not an admin GUI – it is often used by less-technical users – like analysts, production support, and QA – people who might not have the time or do not want to learn Mongo’s entire language and syntax. (By the way – people learn important elements of the syntax while using JSON Studio because the studio allows them to build the queries visually but also shows them the generated code).
- It is used mostly when the apps are up and running, need to be supported, or in QA and people need to access data – less for when the app itself is being built.
- It is a suite of tools and not only a GUI (including the Gateway and the Resource Manager) that cover much more than what admin UIs do. Here’s a list of things you get through this tooling that you don’t find elsewhere:
On the non-GUI front:
- A resource manager for mongodb.
- A scaleable middleware layer giving you a way to build REST APIs that access data in MongoDB without writing any code.
- Differ tooling for QA.
- A schema analyzer/viewer to tell you whats in the collections.
On the GUI front – things that JSON Studio gives you that admin UIs don’t -
- Analytic queries using the aggregation framework.
- Queries using plain words, facets, and visual query construction.
- Comprehensive graphing and visualization using d3 directly on Mongodb data.
- Bi-directional Excel interface.
Posted in: Products and Services